Youth Race Squad
NCSC YOUTH SQUAD - Link to Youth Squad Facebook Group
Background to YRS
The YRS (Youth Racing Squad) in its current format was started by Tim Cripps (the original "Squad father") as a way of encouraging and supporting junior sailors to race.
Initially starting with a small squad of around 12 sailors in Toppers and progressing to Lasers, they attended a coached racing programme running in Spring and Autumn each year. These original YRS members can now be found helming or crewing in double handed boats, competing in NCSC racing series and national race squads and passing on their knowledge as instructors and coaches.
Today the programme is very similar with volunteer coaches leading two programmes in Spring and Autumn. The programme is intended to provide intense focus on racing skills (rather than learning to sail) over a set number of days. All sessions are delivered on a Saturday, with some sessions continuing on into the Saturday afternoon racing series.
So to provide an overview:
During Spring 2020, we will deliver a 5 day programme (five Saturdays) led by a core team of volunteer coaches during March, April and May. The format provides small group work both on the shore and the water aiming to improve the existing racing skills of the YRS members. All juniors work hard and complete the day working with the coaches and their peers to improve their racing techniques including starting; the 1stbeat; boat setup and control; as well as keeping the "Big Picture" of weather and other boats in mind.. There is also a focus on fair play and sportsmanship, racing rules and protests. YRS members are expected to compete in the Saturday Stanier series to continually improve their racing skills as part of the coaching programme.
The Autumn dates are; 5th and 12th September, 3rd and 10th October and will be posted on fb as well as sent to those on the YRS mailing list.
The YRS programme is free to any club member but there are criteria for sailors to be included in the YRS.
1) YRS programme aims to encourage and support juniors racing, so we need to see demonstration that juniors are already starting to race, for example on a Saturday . We are looking for juniors to ideally have already completed at least one series before applying to YRS. This demonstrates to us and the coaches that they are committed to racing. Just holding a RYA qualification does not mean juniors are necessarily interested in or committed to racing.
2) Sailors need to own their own boat that is suitably equipped to race. There is no criteria for the type of boat but Optimist, Topper or Laser are preferred.
3) Sailors should have achieved at least RYA level 3 and be able to sail round a triangular course proficiently.
4) Sailors must possess a willingness and commitment to race at the club - not just because parents think it's a good idea!
5) They must have suitable clothing to attend the coaching session, including sailing gear for the sailor to be on the water for at least 90 minutes (i.e. Wet suit, dry suit, thermal gear) - it can still be cold in Spring/Autumn.
6) They must be available to attend the planned sessions with a willingness to listen, learn and follow instructions from the coaches.
7) Parents/guardians are required to assist the coaches by providing safety cover (on the water as rib drivers/safety crews) and also as shore assistants (they will need buoyancy aid and be willing to get wet in helping launch/retrieve boats as required). The programme is run by volunteer club members so parents need to be around at every session in case 'extra hands' are needed.
If you feel a junior (aged between 11 - 16) meets the above criteria fully then contact the YRS coordinators Martin & Stephanie Gunn by email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange our ON THE WATER ASSESSMENT and discuss if this is the right option.
If your junior sailor isn't quite ready for the YRS then we would encourage you to continue to attend the popular Saturday Club, as well as consider completing any of the RYA Training Courses at the Club including Level 4 or Learn to Race courses.
Find us on facebook Link to Youth Squad Facebook Group
Last updated 07:27 on 28 July 2020