Notts County Sailing Club Racing
We have a vibrant club racing scene for all levels of ability. From an introduction to racing on Tuesday evenings to a chance to develop your skills and knowledge on Sundays with more experienced racers. For more information about the different racing series we run, please see the table below. The sailing instructions can be found at the bottom of the page.
We are a friendly bunch so if you have any questions please don't be afraid to ask. There are also a number of coaching days for all levels from starting out, to detailed tuning. Finally, on the majority of race days there is safety cover and food available, along with the bar being open for after race discussions.
|Tuesdays Evenings||From April to August, two short handicap races are held. These are aimed at encouraging those new to racing and less experienced junior and adult sailors. The races are roughly 20 minutes long and are held back to back, starting at 7pm.
|Wednesday Evening||This is our evening primarily for windsurfers. Running from April onwards, informal racing and Team 15 Coaching is held.|
|Thursday Evenings||This series runs from April to August as handicap racing. It is one race with 3 starts for fast boats, slow boats and then juniors. The racing is aimed at dinghy sailors of all abilities. Start at 7pm
|Saturday afternoons||This series runs from April to October. It is two races, held back to back for dinghy sailors and windsurfers of all abilities. A step up from Tuesday nights, it is also handicap racing. Start at 2.15pm.
|Sunday Black and White||This series runs from the start of the season in April. There are two races, the morning one, starts at 11am back to back. These are for dinghy sailors and windsurfers of all abilities. A handicap race is run in the morning with a pursuit race in the afternoon.
|Sunday Main Series||This series runs from May to late October. Three races are held, one in the morning, starting at 11am and two in the afternoon not before 1.15pm. These are for dinghy sailors and windsurfers of all abilities. The Wadsworth is a handicap at 10am and the next two are Class races (1100 and 1315)
|Sunday Oakleaf/Frostbite||This series runs from end of October to the last weekend before Christmas in December. Similar to the frostbite series with two races; one in the morning at 11am and one in the afternoon not before 1.15pm. These are for dinghy sailors and windsurfers of all abilities. Again, a handicap and pursuit race respectively.
Dates and times 2020
|Day of week||Series||Start Date||End Date||Earliest Starts|
|Tuesday||Low key novice racing||20 Apr||31 Aug||1900|
|Wednesday||T 15 coaching||Apr||Safety till end Aug only||1630 approx|
|Thursday||Fast & slow handicap||22 Apr||26 Aug||1900|
|Saturday||Stainer||17 April||23 Oct||1415 - 2 races back to back (except opens)|
|Sunday||Black & White||4th April||25 April (back to back)||1100 and 1315|
|Main Series & Wadsworth||2nd May||24 Oct||1000 (Wadsworth), 1100 and 1315 (Main Series), Note 1315 earliest start on Topper open|
|Frostbite and Oakleaf||31 Oct||19 Dec (19 back to back)||1100 and 1315|
Other Key dates:
Saturday club 9th May to end of Aug
Open meeting dates
Further instructions are displayed on the board by the Race Office.
Guidelines for racing
- On Saturdays and Sundays the fast and slow handicap the fast handicap will consist of Scorpions and faster boats plus the Finn. All other boats will sail in the Slow Handicap, except boats sailed with a junior helm and crew which may sail in the separate junior / youth start. On Thursday nights the Scorpions and Finn sail in the slow handicap fleet.
- To qualify for any junior or youth trophy no person over the specified age may helm or crew in the boat.
- For the provision of prizes, Junior and Youth ages are defined as on 31st December of the current year.
- All handicap races should contain all points of sailing for the PYN handicap system to work.
- When calculating the number of races required to qualify for a series you should always round up if necessary.
- Boats with class status should always start on their allotted start and may only race with the Menagerie Fleet if there are not enough boats to form a Class start, please refer to the Club SI's for more details. A class boat racing in the Menagerie Fleet will not receive a finishing position.
- With the exception of pursuit races all handicap races are average lap races.
- On some Sundays (Topper) there is class racing only and a later start see Race Notice board.
- Nov 21st (AGM) and December 19th is back to back racing
Information is also available through the links below:
Last updated 20:08 on 30 April 2021